What will you learn?
If you have a passion for people and for scubadiving then teaching people to explore the underwater world, the PADI Assistant Instructor Course may be just for you!
The PADI Assistant Instructor Course is the first portion of the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC). You’ll not only gain additional experience as a PADI Professional but you’ll also start learning the PADI System of diver education.
- PADI Divemaster who has been a certified diver for six months
- At least 60 logged dives and 100 dives
- Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (CPR and First Aid) training within the past 24 months
- A medical statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months
- You also need to be an Emergency First Response Instructor, but you can earn this rating during your instructor training.
Please contact the shop for 2015 dates
As a PADI Assistant Instructor you will be able to:
- Teach academic presentations under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor
- During confined water dives, present initial skills training under the direct supervision of a PADI Instructor
- Evaluate Open Water Diver surface skills under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor
- Teach and certify PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Divers under the direction of a PADI Instructor
- Teach Project AWARE Specialty courses
- Teach the AWARE Coral Reef Conservation specialty course
- Conduct PADI Discover Scuba Diving experiences in a pool or confined water
- Conduct PADI Seal Team AquaMissions
- Teach a number of PADI Specialty courses
The Assistant Instructor (AI) course is the first part of the two part Instructor Development Course (IDC). The second part is the Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program. Most dive professionals complete the entire IDC and go on to attend an Instructor Examination (IE), which is the final step to earn a PADI Instructor certification.
Successfully completing just the AI course results in a PADI Assistant Instructor qualification. When an AI is ready to progress, attending an OWSI program allows entry into an IE to earn a full PADI Instructor rating.
If you want more out of your professional diving career and have the drive to learn and be a dive leader – contact us at the shop today to see how to get started as a DDS Assistant Instructor and discuss the schedule for this exciting course.
What gear will you need?
Where do I go from here?
Here are some popular examples of courses commonly taken by graduates of this course:
- PADI Instructor
- Intro to Tech
- Technical Decompression Diver
- Cave 1
- Emergency First Responder Instructor